Canada – Newfoundland and Labrador Student Financial Assistance Program

The Government of Canada and the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador work together to provide student financial assistance. Both loans and grants are available to help you access and pay for post-secondary education. With one application you will be assessed for both federal and provincial student loans as well as most student grants.

Financial Assistance for Full-Time Students

The provincial government provides 40% of your assessed financial need to a maximum of $140 per week of study; the federal government provides the remaining 60% to a maximum of $210 in loans per week of study.  Additional funding may be available in the form of non-repayable Canada Student Grants.

Available Grants


  • Provincial Study Grant
  • Debt Reduction Grant
  • Early Childhood Education Grant


  • Grant for Students from Low-Income Families
  • Grant for Students from Middle-Income Families
  • Grant for Full-Time Students with Dependants
  • Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities
  • Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities

Financial Assistance for Part-Time Students

The Government of Canada offers loans and grants for part-time studies to students taking between 20% and 59% of a full course load. If you are a student with a permanent disability and you are studying between 40 to 59% of a full course load, you can choose to be considered a full or part-time student.

To review the Acts and Regulations governing the Canada Student Loans Program, please visit the following link:

Student Aid:

Forms and Documentation:

Repayment Information: